Sunday, March 24, 2019

The American Dream

The American dream is the idea that living in the U.S allows for unlimited opportunities and that anyone's dreams can become a reality. Everything is possible as long as you work for it and this ideology has become a symbol to represent the U.S. The climax of the American dream can especially by seen in the 1920's with the amount of wealth, economic growth, and freedom that the people experienced during this time. People had so much money that they were buying unnecessary stuff that was super expensive just to flex on people. The economy was extremely strong and people had money to throw around so why not do it? Also, women were experiencing more freedom than they have ever had before. Many of the Victorian ideologies were abandoned and women were able to express themselves in the way in which they chose. Also, they were finally given the right to vote allowing their voices to be heard in the government which was a huge step towards equality. Taking into consideration the amount of good things that were occurring during this time, Fitzgerald representation of this time period makes a lot of sense. Showing how Gatsby throws parties almost on the daily, and by having all the main characters live in mansions is a perfect representation of the 1920's; people spend money simply because they can.

However, I view the American dream to be something like a Venus fly trap. The promise of prosperity and opportunity lures its prey, and by the time they notice truth about their situation, its too late; they are trapped. This prey that I am referring to are the immigrants, more specifically Hispanics that come into this country is search of a future. During the summer, I volunteered at the Center of Hispanic families which specializes on helping Hispanic families with immigration issues. When I was talking/working with these Hispanic families, I always heard the same thing; they were here in search of a better future or job opportunities. Many of these families left their countries to come to the U.S because they were lured by the American dream's promise of a better life, but unfortunately this promise is mostly false hope. Many of the families that came to the center typically talked about the discrimination that they faced since they were Hispanics. Many people came searching for help since they were unable to find jobs or they needed food since they didn't make enough money to support themselves or their families. With some of the families, I even learned about the hell they lived in since they were forced to flee their country and come to the U.S illegally. Their stories were extremely depressing and what made it worse was that sometimes the conditions they face in the U.S matched those that they fled from. Just like a fly falling into the mouth of a Venus fly trap, these Hispanic families are forced to live harsh lives since they fell for the trap called the American Dream. 

But hey, lets be a bit more optimistic. For some families, this dream became a reality for them. They were able to beat the grasps of poverty and make their dreams and ambitions come true, even if it was only temporary. When my parents first came to the U.S, years before I was born, they were in search of jobs and a better future. My dad even came with the dream to open up his own his own business; he wanted to open a family restaurant. However, both of them were undocumented during
that, making their dream almost impossible. My parents lived in a very dangerous, violent, and poverty stricken part of New York where they both worked low paying jobs. However, through their dedication, they were able to start building up their lives. Long story short my parents were able to make a living and find jobs that allow them to support the family. Also, when I was in middle school, my dad was able to temporary open the only Ecuadorian Bakery in Raleigh, which unfortunately didn't last, however, he was able to make his dream come true. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Andrew, I really loved this blog post, it was super well written. I think you did a great job defining the American Dream, and I really loved your comparison between the American Dream and a fly trap. I also loved that you acknowledged the good cases of the American Dream. Great writing, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete