Sunday, April 7, 2019

Witty Whitman

Step 1: Document Analysis
To be honest, Whitman really needs some college rule notebook paper because his writing is all over the place. The way he writes constantly changes between pages, especially with his font size and his line spacing. His writing kinda resembles mine when Beller says there is only 5 minutes left to finish the essay and I just finished the intro. I noticed that his writing goes from a neat paragraph structured format to diagonal senseless scribbling between pages. I believe that this shows that Whitman's style of writing and thinking is very spontaneous. When he thinks of something, he quickly jots it down before he forget its it; which could explain that awful formatting. Judging by the fact that in some of his pages have corrections on them, such as scribbling out a word and rewriting it on top, it seems that he also goes back and rereads what he wrote when he has time. I imagine that most of his writing comes to him when he is doing ordinary everyday stuff, such as walking from place to place. When he gets an idea, he whips out his dandy notebook and quickly writes down what he was thinking only to check it when he is in the comfort of his home. The drawings in the notebook seemed strange to me but I believe that this shows that Whitman is inspired based on his surroundings. He might see something cool and sketch it or maybe write a few sentences and move on. I think its kinda like when someone is walking and they find a interesting rock on the floor and for no reason they are compelled to take it with them. To anybody watching, this attraction to the rock is strange, but just like Whitman's drawings, it means something to that person.

Step 2: Notes
I'll be honest, I was never that interested in Whitman himself until I read those notes. I found it really interesting how Whitman was able to take inspiration from such small things; such as just looking it Lincolns face. Just like the rock, small moments like those were enough to inspire him to write so much about the president and the America. Am also amazed by how these little ideas that he wrote in his notebook, which he carried around with him (called it), could involve into such beautiful and meaningful poems. Also, Whitman's ambiguity when he writes is interesting. He really doesn't specify who he is writing to but is always talking to "you." This ambiguity allows for so many interpretations of his works which is fascinating and allows his poems to become so much "deeper."

6 comments:

  1. You did a great job on your post! Your analysis of Whitman's writing is really insightful and I can tell that you did some deep examination and had a good understanding of what he was writing. I also like your writing style because it's casual and humorous so it made it easier and more entertaining to read for me. Good job overall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Andrew, I also struggled with trying to make out the jumbled phrases and scrawled words littered across his notebook. I liked that you pointed out the spontaneous nature of his notes and the inspiration that he took from his environment. To me, his vague writing frustrates me as I like to have a definitive answers. I thought you did of analyzing the notebook, although there could be some more specific references. I enjoyed reading this, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Andrew! Your blog was entertaining to read! I thought your take on Whitman's notebook was very interesting, pointing out the different interpretations that he makes. Also, the casual and honest tone of your writing is what made it enjoyable and easier for me as the reader. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please always be honest with us Andrew. I liked the idea that you had about how Whitman's change in formatting from the neat and lined wording to the slanting and jumbled words can give us an insight into his psyche, and was something I commented on in my own blog. Overall, I enjoyed your post and will be back for more next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew, I also wasn't able to read his jumbled words in his writings so that is why in my blog i focused on the pictures that he drew. I really liked how you went in depth as to why his notes were jumbled about and I thought that was really cool. Great blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Andrew!

    I think there's a consensus that Whitman's handwriting is pretty unreadable haha. However, I would have liked it better if you put some quotes of these random words and phrases and their structure.I really liked your observation that his ideas and thoughts probably come spontaneuously! Organization isn't his strong suit haha. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete